Sunday, February 8, 2009

January Read - The Economic Naturalist

I've decided to switch from fiction to non-fiction readings recently - I must say that I enjoy reading non-fictions the most since it depicts reality from which I can gather knowledge and gain some wisdom. A few days back, I ordered 2 more books - one is a Vegan Cookbook and the other one is on the power of prayers. There are just so many new books awaiting in my bookshelf to be picked up and read. Firstly, I tend to take my own time to finish reading a book; and secondly, time!

I've just finished reading "The Economic Naturalist" by Robert Frank a few weeks ago - and I find it an easy and interesting read for anyone who is interested to understand economics in a practical form. I've been teaching Microeconomics course for a few years now and I find the examples given in this book interesting from a standpoint of a student attempting to understand economic theories in a laymen term. At times, it gets daunting trying to explain certain economic theories which most students find difficulty to relate to.

In this book, numerous economic theories are simplistically explained using many real-world examples which all of us come across at some point or the other. Some of the questions posed in this book boil down to basic common sense - but then, how many of us examine everything around us from a standpoint of an economist - it's pretty interesting, actually.

No comments: