Last weekend I baked a cake for my cousin, Hans' birthday on 6th June. This time I decided to try baking a cake that is of a less rich texture. I was fasting on fruits; so I had to rely on my sis and mom for quality control and testing :) But all in all, it turned out well.
Herewith is the recipe:
- 1/2 cup cereals (I used the one with lots of nuts and fruits - it tastes better)
- 3 cups flour
- 1 and a half cup ofsugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp instant coffee
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon or you can use all-spice powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- For the glaze - 2 tbsp brewed coffee and 1 1/4 cups of sifted icing sugar
1. Preheat oven to 175 degrees Celcius and grease your pan - I used 8-inch springform round pan.
2. Mix cereal with ½ cup sugar, the instant coffee and cinnamon; set aside.
3. Mix flour with 1 cup sugar, the baking soda, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl.
4. Add sour cream, butter, eggs and vanilla. Blend at low speed with electric mixer, then beat for 1 minute at medium speed.
5. Spread one third of the batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle with half of the cereal mixture. Repeat layers and top with remaining batter.
6. Bake until tooth pick inserted into the center comes out clean - which is about 50 mins.
7. Cool in pan; spread with coffee glaze.
8. To make the coffee glaze: Gradually blend cooled, brewed coffee into sifted icing sugar.