Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Pizza Adventure - Part 2


I have been reading about the art of making a tasty and crunchy pizza crust. There are so many differing opinions and views about what constitutes a good crunchy delicious crust. I found one where the writer mentioned that it's not necessary to let the dough to rise - and that will produce a nice crunchy thin crust. And I also read it somewhere that salt kills yeast - but there are recipes which suggest mixing salt with yeast. I have been noting all the tips and secret ingredients - and am determined to try 'em all out - and decide for myself which one produces the best crust ever!

Today I tried making the dough using a different recipe. I've rolled out a quarter of the batch of dough I made today in a baking tray without letting it to proof (I did leave the dough at room temperature for about 15 mins or so since it was 'not behaving' when I rolled it out). For the remaining 3/4 of the dough, I've set it aside to proof in the fridge overnight.

The recipe as follows:

Thin-Crust Pizza Dough:
Step A: Proof Your Yeast
1) In a medium-sized bowl, add 2 tsp of yeast.
2) Add 2 tsp of sugar.
3) Add 1/2 cup of warm water (heated to about 37-41 degrees Celcius).
4) Mix the mixture until everything is combined.
5) Set aside for about 10 mins before adding it to the dough.
You can make the dough the day before and proof it in the fridge overnight; or in this case I straight away used some of the dough and kept the rest in the fridge.
Step B: Making the Dough
6) Add 4 cups of flour in a big bowl.
7) Add 1 tsp of salt to the bowl.
8) Add 1/4 cup of olive oil.
9) Add the activated yeast mixture to the bowl.
10) Add a cup of warm water and mix everything with a fork to get the flour absorbed.
11) Sprinkle some flour on a flat surface and turn the dough out and knead it.
12) Knead for about 10 mins or so or until the dough is smooth and elastic.
13) You can put the dough in the fridge and let it proof overnight or use it straightaway.
You can release some of the air bubbles trapped in the dough by dorking it (poking the dough with fork). The first time when I made the dough, I think I didn't give the dough enough kneading since the texture wasn't smooth.

The batch of pizza I made today is different from the first time: this time I added 2 tsps sugar to the dough; and I didn't let the dough to proof; I used cheddar cheese as the topping; gave the dough more kneading; and I added warm water to the flour and salt mixture. This is definitely a better tasting crust than the first one.

Tomorrow, I will be taking out the 3/4 of the dough which I left to proof in the fridge overnight and compare it with the one I made today. More updates tomorrow...

3 comments:

SMAA said...

SO rajin lah you!

I would just call Dominos!

AGAPE said...

Hehe, trust me Mel, itz worth the effort :)

Anonymous said...

Your pizza looks yummy !