Thursday, December 31, 2009

Reflecting 2009


Today is the day for me to sit back and reflect on the memories of 2009 - the time of the year to look back at all my accomplishments and setbacks for the year that is almost coming to an end. It is equally important to spend some quiet moment reflecting on how I've spent each second of all the last 12 months.

Accomplishments:
1. Getting married to a wonderful and loving husband.
2. Traveling experiences:
  • Honeymoon @ Mauritius and Reunion islands - absolutely the most wonderful experience.
  • My 30th Birthday @ Phuket - mind-blasting experience.
  • Perth visit - informational and inspirational - learnt many tips of managing and raising a family.
3. Resignation from my job. I decided to resign from my job at Multimedia University since I couldn't rationalize being away from my husband and travelling to and fro from Melaka. Despite letting go of a job which I was so comfortable in, it was the best decision I made for myself. Now, I have more time and flexibility to do anything I wanted with my time - a sort of liberation from the monotonous life I had before. That said, I am definitely missing my colleagues. The 5-month leave I took gave me the freedom to do whatever I wanted with my time - and I had more time to relax, breathe and enjoy life at a quieter pace. However, like all things in life, anything done excessively is not good for you. So, I guess I have rested and traveled a lot during the past 5 months and I guess it's time for me to gear-up for some serious goal-setting next year. Though I am ashamed to admit that I have been slacking in my PhD studies recently, I am still glad that I have gone to places which I have never been and experienced new and exciting things with my husband. We've maximized the time spent together.

I realized how the first half of the year had been a very hectic one for me - classes, marking, administration work and the preparations for our wedding and reception; I was basically juggling everything and hardly had anytime to breathe. On the other hand, the second half of the year had been going on a totally relaxing pace - I had so much time for myself and for my loved ones. I learned that in everything that we do, moderation is the key. I have to learn to balance my time - I believe that the best way to know if you have utilized your time to the best is to gauge how accomplished and contented you feel at the end of the day.

4. Discovery of a new passion - hiking. This year, especially the last 5 months, I discovered how much I love hiking and trekking - something that I look forward to doing more in the future.
5. Conquered Mount Kinabalu. It was certainly an important milestone for us this year. It has taught us some invaluable lessons.
6. Incorporated some healthy eating habits. Now, juicing has become a daily morning routine which we look forward to so much - savoring the freshly squeezed vegetables and fruits is the most rewarding experience at the break of dawn.
7. Physical activities. We have made it a routine to walk around the KLCC park almost every morning. Although sometimes I have to drag myself out of bed, the morning walk is absolutely revitalizing.
8. Learnt to cook many new dishes and received compliments from family and friends, especially my husband :)

Setbacks:
The year has thrown an equal share of setbacks to us - Alfred's surgery and the ensuing chemotheraphy; the demise of his beloved paternal aunt and grandmother - a great loss to his family. As the saying goes, 'Behind every cloud there is a silver lining", the most important thing for us to remember is to learn and grow stonger whenever life throws challenges at us; and be very grateful for all the wonderful things we have. 

My GOALS for 2010:
  • Complete my PhD thesis
  • Bring a new life into this beautiful world
  • Be more patient and loving to my wonderful husband
  • Religiously indulge in activities which I am passionate in
  • Meditate religiously
  • Maintain a closer connection with my friends
  • Find new friends
  • Find new passion and indulge in it
  • Lead a healthy living - physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually. 
  • Instill good habits and practice it as a ritual
  • Be more hardworking, disciplined, and focused.
  • Live the motto of 'Do it now or never'.
  • Be more kind and patient to others.
  • Participate in charitable acts.
  • Live in the NOW - present and aware. 
  • Read more - especially inspirational books. 
  • Learn a new language.
  • Learn new dance steps
  • Write a short story
  • Practice Yoga and Pilates religiously
As the year is drawing to an end, I would like to take this opportunity to wish everyone a Happy New Year - may the coming year bless you with all the good things life has to offer. Be joyful!

1 comment:

SMAA said...

Bless you! All the best in living out your dreama!