Monday, August 16, 2010

Marbled Cheesecake

Ever since I got pregnant, I had pretty much been lazy in baking. But, I do miss the euphoria I get when I bake - the satisfaction in my heart when I see my loved ones devour the cakes I bake and the joy of sharing the cake with my family members and friends. When I moved to KL after marriage, it was just the two of us - and baking became less exciting because I couldn't share it with my sisters and cousins who have always been the ever-ready 'testers' of my baking outputs. 

This time around, my sister made a special request for a chocolate cheesecake. Cheesecake had always been a popular request from my family members. I have baked chocolate cheesecake before, so I decided that I should try baking marbled cheesecake. It turned out very creamy and nice and it's so easy to make because this cheesecake does not need to be baked in a water bath as my previous cheesecake recipes required.

Marbled cheesecake

Recipes as follows:

Ingredients:
For the crust:
2 cups of graham cracker crumbs
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup melted butter
For the filling:
2 blocks of 250 gm Philadelphia cream cheese
1 cup of sweetened condensed milk
3 eggs, room temperature
120 gm bittersweet chocolate

Steps:
1. Preheat oven to 175 degrees Celcius.
2. To prepare the cheesecake crust, combine graham cracker crumbs, sugar and melted butter until the crumbs clump together.
3. Spread the mixture evenly into the bottom of the cake pan and press down firmly to make an even base. Bake for 10 minutes in the preheated oven. Set aside.
4. Reduce oven temperature to 150 degrees Celcius. 
5. Melt chocolate over a double boiler. Set aside to cool slightly. 
6. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. 
7. Add condensed milk and beat until smooth. 
8. Add eggs, one by one, beating each until fully incorporated. 
9. Pour 1/2 of the batter into the bowl with the melted chocolate and stir well. 
10. Pour chocolate and plain cheese batters into the prepared pan, evenly distributing and alternating batters. Swirl with a clean knife. 
11. Bake cheesecake for 50-55 minutes. The top of the cheesecake should be set, but the underneath should still have a wobble/jiggle to it. 
12. Cool the cheesecake in a fairly warm place after removing it from the oven to allow it to set without cracking. 
13. Chill the cheesecake overnight before serving. 

No comments: