I was in the mood for baking and this time around I wanted to bake without using eggs. Ever since Mages introduced me to the eggless butter marble cake that she orders from a home bakery in Brickfields, I was hooked to vegetarian cakes. It was difficult to find a good recipe on vegetarian butter cake and when I finally found one, I decided to give it a try.
Herewith is the recipe:
1 1/4 cups of all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/3 cups of unsalted butter
1/2 to 3/4 cup of sugar (depending on how sweet you want the cake to be)
1 1/4 cups of evaporated milk
1 1/2 tsp of vanilla essence
1. Preheat oven to 190 degrees Celcius.
2. Grease and line a round cake pan.
3. Sift together flour and baking powder.
4. In a medium-sized bowl, beat butter and sugar until the mixture doubles and turns pale yellow. (It's important at this stage not to overbeat the butter - otherwise the butter will separate. When the butter separates due to overbeating, you can store the mixture in the fridge for a while before creaming it again).
5. After creaming the butter and sugar until it turns pale yellow, mix evaporated milk and vanilla slowly into the creamed mixture.
6. Mix in flour one spoonful at a time until well blended.
7. Pour the mixture into the prepared cake pan.
8. Bake at 190 degrees Celcius for 40 minutes to an hour, or until a tester is inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.