Sunday, March 9, 2008

Oatmeal-Apple-Raisin Muffin

I've always been baking cakes; so I wanted to bake a muffin this time for a change; and I wanted something healthy and wholesome at the same time, with less sugar of course. So I modified some of the recipes which I found on the internet; I used milk instead of butter or buttermilk. As you can see from the pics, my muffins are a little out-of-shape because I didn't manage to find a proper muffin cup/tin.
The following is the simple muffin recipe:
Ingredients:
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 apple chopped (you can add more if you want)
- 1 cup oatmeal (I used instant Quaker oats)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (you can use canola oil - more healthy)
- 1 cup flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp all-spice powder
- 1/3 cup sugar ( I used brown sugar for its color)
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
(You can also add chopped almonds for its crunchiness)

Steps:
1. Pre-heat oven to 204 degrees Celcius.
2. In a large bowl, sift flour and baking powder.
3. Mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and all-spice powder.
4. Stir in oatmeal, raisins, and almonds.
5. In a medium-sized bowl, lightly beat the egg. Stir in oil, milk, and vanilla to combine.
6. Stir the combined wet ingredients into flour mixture, mixing until just moistened. Do not overmix.
7. Fill in muffin cups (or if you have- greased muffin tins) two-thirds full.
8. Bake for 20-25 mins or until golden on top.
9. You can serve with butterscotch sauce (I was tempted to, but didn't :P).

No comments: