Monday, December 29, 2008

Steamed Moist Chocolate Cake

On Christmas Eve, I baked 2 cakes; cheesecake for Alfred and the other one is steamed moist chocolate cake. This is the second time I am making steamed chocolate cake. The first time, I used a ready-made chocolate flour for the cake. This time, the recipe includes making the batter for the cake. I layered the cake and sandwiched it with creamy milk chocolate with hazelnut. When you bite into the cake, the creamy layer just melts in your mouth - and I love the crunchiness of the hazelnut. I myself (am not a chocolate cake fan) got hooked to the cake ;)
Herewith is the recipe:
Ingredients:
A
1 cup evaporated milk
1 cup sugar
1 cup good quality cocoa powder
250 gm unsalted butter
3/4 tsp instant coffee powder
B
3 large eggs (lightly beaten)
1/2 cup condensed milk
1 tsp vanilla essence
C
1 and a 1/4 cup plain flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
Steps:
1. Mix ingredients in A together and cook over low fire until sugar is completely melted. Stir constantly to prevent it from burning. Set aside to cool.
2. Mix A and B together until well-blended.
3. Sift C together and add into the mixed liquid mixture. Mix well until there are no lumps of flour to be seen.
4. Pour into a greased and lined round pan and steam over high heat for 45 minutes to an hour. Check for doneness by inserting a skewer into the centre of the cake.
5. Cool in pan for 5 minutes. Remove from pan carefully and let cool completely on rack.
6. Layer the cake into 2. Spread melted milk chocolate with hazelnut and sandwich the 2 cakes together.
7. The cake tastes better if it is stored outside at room temperature - you get to enjoy the melting milk chocolate texture in-between the cake when you bite into it. Yummy!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks terribly delicious,please don't put the pictures here,its so tempting,it makes me go crazy,someone give me a bit of that chocolate guy....

Benny said...

The choc cake looks super yummy...*drools*. Next time can make for my sons birthday??hehe

AGAPE said...

Thanks, Kamal and Benny. Hey, Benny, how lar - you are in Australia - want me to export is it? Hey, itz great to see you on Facebook; after so many years, good to keep in touch :)

classyadele said...

I will definitely try this out one day! When u say mix/blend - do u manually stir with a cake stirrer or do u use the cake mixer?

AGAPE said...

You have to manually stir in the flour gradually into the liquid mixture. The best part of eating it is the choc cream, hehe, n then i tell myself "exercise more"