Thursday, April 10, 2008

Steamed Fruit Cake

Last Wednesday, my mom made her infamous Steamed Fruit Cake to bring it to over to my cousin's engagement party this Saturday. This recipe is passed down from my grandmother. I used to remember the times when my grandmother makes this cake and we will devour it happily. This is the second time my mom is making this cake and I'd love to share the recipe since I love this cake so much because of its springy texture. It takes 4 hours to steam - but trust me, it's worth it!
The recipe as follows:
  • 12 oz. butter
  • 4 cups flour
  • 1/2 tin golden syrup (I forgot the brand name; but it comes in a green color tin)
  • 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 6 eggs
  • 1 packet mixed fruits (Big Sister brand)
  • 1 tsp orange essence
  1. Cream sugar and butter.
  2. Add golden syrup and mix.
  3. Then, mix with yellow of eggs.
  4. Beat egg whites into another bowl.
  5. Add flour and fruits with the egg whites.
  6. Steam for 4 hours.

No comments: