Friday, August 8, 2008

The Life of Pi


I just finished reading ‘The Life of Pi’ by Yann Martel; this book was presented to me by Alfred when we first started dating. I must say that the story in this book aptly describes the hunger in me that I am still seeking - studying animal behaviors and the realm of spirituality - the two themes in this book – the two topics that absolutely fascinate me which I wish to dwell further on in my life.

It’s a story about a boy and a tiger stranded in the middle of Pacific Ocean after a shipwreck and how they survived the ordeal of living day in and day out without a proper source of water and food - and also surviving the attack of the Bengal tiger in the lifeboat.

It’s a story about courage which reinforces the belief in God and how ingrained we all are with wildlife and nature. It is truly an amazing story – a story which leaves you to interpret life in the ways that you choose to interpret it. One of my favorite parts is on how the author aptly describes on the will to live by saying “Only death consistently excites your emotions, whether contemplating it when life is safe and stale, or fleeing it when life is threatened or precious”.

No comments: