Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Shutter Island


We didn't have any clue about the movie that we were about to watch. It so happens Shutter Island was screening at the hour when we decided to catch a movie. The movie's poster potrayed a grim and thrilling image of the scenes that were about to unfold. So, I told Alfred, if it is a chronically chronic movie, I am walking out of the cinema theatre. Gone were the days when I used to love watching horror and manic-chronic movies. 

Almost halfway through the movie, I was almost tempted to leave the cinema - there were some disturbing scenes that I wouldn't want to be watching at this point in time. However, something inside told me to stay - as I was partially curious about the movie's ending. After the movie ended, we took sometime to digest the ending and the whole plot - the movie left us thinking and reviewing all the scenes. 

I would say this is the BEST movie I've watched this year in terms of its story and plot. Extremely thrilling and filled with suspense till the end. Even the ending has a twist to it - the plot is genius. Leonardo di Caprio and Ben Kingsley gave a superb performance in this movie. This movie gives us a glimpse of what goes on in the mind of the criminally insane. Although there are some disturbing scenes, the plot of this movie makes it worthwhile to watch.

I was glad that we didn't read the movie's review - it would have spoilt the suspense. Go with an open mind  and keep guessing until the end. Pay attention to the last line by the lead cast at the end of the movie - that's the punchline - but then, it's open for discussion as different people may interpret it in different ways. How you interpret the ending determines the movie's success in delivering its message. I would rate Shutter Island 5/5.

No comments: