Monday, February 11, 2008

Chinese New Year Celebration

This year, the celebration just came and went by so fast! I had a good time though, catching up with old friends and hanging out with my family. My sister, Pravina came back from KL last Tuesday; so happy to see her after some time; she only gets to come home once a month; poor gal, she gets homesick badly. We went out on Thursday to do some grocery shopping; and later went to indulge ourselves with the infamous cendol (near the Bukit Cina cemetery) and rojak.

I baked 2 chocolate cake with ganache on Friday afternoon; I had to rush since I gotta go for the open house in Sharon's place on Friday evening. The first cake didn't turn out so well (funny, since I used the exact measurements and ingredients as the cake I baked for the potluck last week); so I was dissapointed; but the second cake turned out better (though not as good as the potluck version). My cheesecake always turns out the exact way as I wanted to; I just stick to the same measurement, and it turns out good everytime. But, it's different with the choc cake; I guess it's because of the ganache; since the ganache is just for the outer coating, I tend to vary the measurement based on how rich/creamy I wanted it to be; but the measurement for the cake ingredients was the same and yet this time it turned out abit crumply when I transferred the cake from the baking tin to the rack - I suspect it's the butter measurement - bcoz last time I used the measuring cup for the butter but this time I just estimated the butter needed based on the weight in gram - but then, it shouldn't make much of a difference. Anyway, for the second cake, I used the cup measurement of the butter, and it turned out okay. Later that night, went over to Sharon's house for a feast :)

The next day, we got up early, and I dropped my sister off at her apartment in Seri Kembangan. Then, I drove over to Alfred's house to visit his family for Chinese New Year. Brought the 2nd cake I baked the night before for his family. Had to rush back to Melaka since I had to go to Ai Lin's open house for lunch. Had a great time there catching up with old friends; accompanied with all the cookies and sweet-ie stuffs of course.

My best buddies - from left: Charmane, Sharon, Ai Lin, Myself, and Chin Lay

Come Chinese New year, these are the delicacies I look forward to :)

Bak Kwa - Barbecued dried pork slices (salty-sweet dried meat, made in the form of flat thin sheets)

Sweet, succulent Mandarin oranges (you won't feel guity indulging in this)

Feeling guilty of feeding myself with so much sweet stuff, went for swimming that evening; and worked it out to the max, hehe.

On Sunday, sat down (had to discipline myself) and settled some office work so that I wouldn't be feeling so stressed out on Monday.

Back to work!

No comments: