Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Traditional Choc Cake with Ganache Recipe

The following is the recipe as the result of the mix and match of my previous experiments with chocolate cake:

For the Cake:

- 200 g plain flour

- 200 g caster sugar

- 1 tsp baking powder

- 1/2 tsp bicarb of soda

- 40 g best-quality cocoa

- 175 g soft unsalted butter

- 2 eggs- 2 tsp vanilla extract

- 150 ml sour cream

For the Ganache:

- 140 ml dairy whipping cream

- 200 g dark choc

For Decor:

- Halved/quartered fresh strawberries (depending on the size)

- sour cream or you may want to use whipping cream

Steps:

1) Preheat the oven to gas mark 180 degrees Celcius and line and butter two 20 cm sandwich tins.

2) Put all the cake ingredients into a food processor and process until you have a smooth, thick batter.

3) Divide this batter, using a rubber spatula, into the prepared tins.

4) Bake - about 30 to 35 minutes.

5) Let the cake cool for about 20 mins before spreading the ganache.

6) To make the ganache: Heat the dairy whipping cream until it becomes to just under boil, and switch off the fire. Add in the chopped dark choc and mix well, until a smooth mixture is formed.

7) Spread the ganache over the 1st layer of cake and cover with another layer. Cover the top and sides of the cake with ganache.

8) Pipe the sour cream or whipped cream (whichever that you prefer) on the cake and put halved/quartered strawberries on it.

9) Best to refrigerate overnight.

10) Indulge!

I remember once that the chocolate cake that I baked turned out too soft and creamy (a different recipe; not this one); I baked the cake for my grandpa’s birthday and we had a BBQ on that day too. I being the perfectionist was disappointed on how the cake turned out. My grandpa commented on why the cake’s texture is too soft and falls apart when sliced, haha. Well, most importantly, it tasted good and there were no leftovers; who cares about texture right (yeah right! Am just covering up, hehe).

You will notice that most of the cakes I bake has icing/ganache/frosting on it. This is to cover up any imperfections on the cake’s surface, hehe; a covering up act, basically.

My next experiment: I’d love to bake muffins; will see how it turns out. Cooking and baking is truly an art, and I love it to the max! It certainly keeps me going.

No comments: