Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Aqua-phobia

Everybody has phobias - at least what I think so. I suffer from Aqua-phobia. Although I know how to swim, but when it comes to deep waters (anything more than my height), I become nervous. I am so afraid that if I am in deep waters and I suddenly forgot how to swim (yeah, I know; chronic), I'd drown; or if I get tired halfway swimming, I can't stand on my feet at the deeper end. And so, you can always see me hanging around at the shallow end of the pool.

Source: Wikipedia - "Aquaphobia is the kind of specific phobia, an abnormal and persistent fear of water. It involves a level of fear that is beyond control or that may interfere with daily life. Specifically, people suffering from aquaphobia may experience anxiety even though they realize the water in an ocean, a river, a lake, a creek or even a bathtub may pose no imminent threat. They may avoid such activities as boating and swimming, or they may avoid swimming in the deep ocean despite having mastered basic swimming skills [This certainly describes me!]. This anxiety may also commonly extend to getting wet or splashed with water when it is unexpected, or being pushed or thrown into a body of water".

According to the source, some people may develop the phobia as a reaction to a traumatic water experience---a near drowning or other such event - the experience which I had when I started my swimming lesson as a kid. I strongly believe that throwing a child at the 12-feet end of the pool so that the child naturally learns to swim is NOT A GOOD IDEA! - at least in my case.

Although my condition is not the Chronic Water Phobia, but it does inhibit me from learning a water skill or freely entering a mass-volume water environment such as a swimming pool, sea, lake, ocean, or river.

I have tried conquering the fear - by taking swimming lessons - I did amaze myself though by touching the ground of the 12-feet end of the pool numerous times - but I guess I pushed my limits in doing that - and it didn't create a wonderful feeling during the process - although it did boost my pride of being able to do so. After a while, I admitted that anything deeper than my height is a BIG NO NO. I'd be perfectly happy swimming in the 5 ft level.

3 comments:

kriishu said...

Hey sis, i thought u had the phobia of blood????
; p

AGAPE said...

hey da, haha u still remember the 'blood' incident...dunno why la that happens :P

Anonymous said...

The psychological symptoms of anxiety disorder mainly include uneasiness, fear of losing control, behavioral problems, sleep problems, nightmares, insecurity, restlessness, confusion, avoidance, nervousness, constant fear, hypervigilance, escapism and self-consciousness. The associated physical symptoms of anxiety disorder include sweating, shortness of breath, flushing, palpitation, dry mouth, nausea, hot flashes, chills, cold and numbness in feet and hands, muscle pain, joint pain, tremors, twitches, chest pain, headache, stomach pains, queasiness, diarrhea, frequent urination, dizziness and fatigue. http://www.xanax-effects.com/