Thursday, January 3, 2008

NEW YEAR

Happy 2008! I spent New Year's eve and new year day in the hospital accompanying my mum. She underwent a surgery to remove a lump in her breast. She is doing fine now and in good spirits.

Well, it was a memorable stay in the hospital, as funny as it sounds! Indeed, it was. I had a great time with the patients in the ward. It was filled with 'happenings' - which is why I never felt bored sitting there from day to night - time flies! I realised that regardless of race, gender and creed, we all blend in as ONE; and helping out each other in times of need is the true human spirit - which is what i experienced during the stay in the hospital. Since I was the only non-patient in the 4-bed room, I was helping out the other patients. There was this girl (she is a special child with learning disability) beside my mum's bed; her name is Asha... Poor girl, her family was not there for her. It was indeed my greatest pleasure in lending her a hand and being there for her. The other makcik was the entertainer in the room; with all her jokes and heart-warming gestures. Another makcik just went for a surgery to remove her breast - and it was also my greatest pleasure to help her out. I felt so fulfilled and happy. The other entertainer is the 11-year old boy from the other ward. He was there to accompany his mother who is recovering from a surgery. So, it was all cracking-jokes-and-laughs session in the ward. It was truly terapheutic. I truly laughed my heart out. Reminded me of Robin William's role in Patch Adams. That was how the atmosphere in the ward like. Filled with laughters; lively.
So, this new year celebration is a special one for me; being beside my mum and helping out others truly made me happy and contented. I thank God for these precious moments which I will cherish forever. And I thank God for all these wonderful people I met during the stay in the hospital. This experience made me realise that despite the tensions among races and prejudices that is evident in the 'outside' world, the true human spirit brings about unconditional love; that's the magic of the human spirit...And I realised that I have lots to offer.

No comments: