Sunday, September 13, 2009

Durian Butter Cake

It has been a long time since I last baked a cake - I miss that so much! As a treat for myself for being a good girl and finishing the research paper correction, I baked a cake last night - boy, it is so rewarding to smell a freshly baked cake out from the oven and the joy on my family member's face devouring the cake.

I've always wanted to bake a durian cake - and last night I went to search for durian in Tesco - it is almost the end of the durian season now, so you don't see that many vendors selling this fruit by the roadside. Durian has always been my favorite fruit despite it's bad rapport among the foreigners - it is labelled as the most disgusting fruit ever! It is an acquired taste - just like the blue cheese :)

Herewith is the recipe for Durian Butter Cake:

Ingredients:

250 gm butter
200 gm sugar (I have reduced the amount of sugar because the durian itself is sweet)
5 eggs
120 gm Durian flesh
60 ml milk
40 gm cake flour
180 gm cake flour
50 gm custard powder
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/4 tsp salt

Method:

1. Blend/beat the durian flesh with milk and mix in the 40 gm of flour. Set aside.
2. Sieve flour with custard powder, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt.
3. Cream butter and sugar till light and fluffy.
4. Add in eggs one at a time till well combined before the next addition.
5. Add in the durian and milk mixture (from step 1) and mix well.
6. Fold in the dry mixture (from step 2) and mix till well blended.
7. Check the consistency of the batter - if it's too runny, add a little bit more flour. Don't add too much flour though - the batter shouldn't be too dense - it should be a little runny - that makes the cake moist and soft.
8. Pour into the baking pan and bake in a preheated oven at 175 degrees Celcius for about 50 minutes, or until the top of the cake turns golden brown.
9. Check for doneness by inserting a skewer into the centre of the cake.
10. Savor it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I must make a pizza of urs.That is one of my goal in baking..hehehe mags

AGAPE said...

Yes, have a pizza party :)